Centre for Research on Bilingualism in Theory & Practice
Dr Gwyn Lewis
Research Collaborator, Group 4
Hiraethog, Normal Site
+44 (0)1248 383108
Gwyn Lewis is a native of Caernarfon where he attended Ysgol Syr Hugh Owen before graduating in Welsh at University College, Bangor, from where he was later awarded a doctorate on aspects of medieval Welsh literature. He served as Head of the Department of Welsh at Ysgol Maes Garmon, Mold, and as a Welsh Education Adviser for Gwynedd Education Authority before being appointed to the staff of Y Coleg Normal (subsequently the College of Education and Lifelong Learning, Bangor University). He was promoted Deputy Head of the College of Education and Lifelong Learning in 2007, with specific responsibility as Director of Teaching and Learning.
His research interests are Welsh and bilingual education, bilingualism, and children's linguistic development, especially where two languages are used in the classroom to impart information. He has held a number of advisory posts with ACCAC in the past, which reflects this expertise. He is joint editor of the series Trafodion Addysg – Education Transactions and is a member of the editorial board of Gwerddon, a new web-based academic journal established to publish Welsh-medium research papers. Under the aegis of the Research Centre for Bilingualism, which was established at Bangor in 2007, he is currently researching aspects of language heritage and immersion education in the context of Welsh-medium and bilingual schools.
• Various projects relating to Welsh education (Chief Welsh Auditor ACCAC, 2001-06
• Member of a research team from the Universities of York and Lincoln on a project to provide 'Specialist advice on the 14-19 provision in Cardiff' (specific responsibility for aspects relating to Welsh education in the city's secondary schools)
'Cymraeg Iaith Gyntaf yn yr Ysgol Uwchradd', in Addysg Gymraeg – Addysg Gymreig (ed. Gareth Roberts and Cen Williams), pp. 208-234, College of Education and Lifelong Learning, Bangor University, 2003.
'Addysg Gynradd Gymraeg: Trochi ac Ymestyn Disgyblion', in Cylchgrawn Addysg Cymru/The Welsh Journal of Education, Volume 12(2), pp. 49-64, 2004.
'Datblygiad Iaith yng Nghylchoedd Mudiad Ysgolion Meithrin' (jointly with Elen Gareth), in Cylchgrawn Addysg Cymru/The Welsh Journal of Education , Volume 13(1), pp. 44-68, 2004.
'Addysg Gynradd Gymraeg: Her a Chyfle yr Unfed Ganrif ar Hugain' yn Addysg Cyfrwng Cymraeg a Dwyieithog/Welsh-Medium and Bilingual Education, Trafodion Addysg/Education Transactions, College of Education and Lifelong Learning, Bangor University, 2006.
• Deputy Director of the College of Education and Lifelong Learning: Director of Teaching and Learning
• Chair of the College of Education and Lifelong Learning's Board of Studies
• Chair of the Teaching and Learning Task Group
• Chair of the Quality Assurance Task Group
• Chair of the Language Task Group
• Welsh Subject Studies Co-ordinator for PGCE Secondary course
• Chair of Subject Studies Working Group in the BA(QTS)
• Subject Studies module organiser in the BA(QTS)
• Internal examiner for research degrees: MA/MEd/MPhil/PhD
• Chair of the Education Panel, University of Wales Welsh-Medium Education Development Centre
• Joint-editor of the series Trafodion Addysg – Education Transactions
• BA(Hons) First Class in Welsh/Welsh Literature, University College, Bangor
• PhD in Welsh Literature, University College, Bangor
• PGCE in Welsh and Welsh Second Language, University College, Aberystwyth
• 1979-82: Tutor in the Departments of Welsh and Extra Mural Studies, Bangor University
• 1983-88: Head of the Department of Welsh, Ysgol Maes Garmon, Mold
• 1988-93: Welsh Education Consultant, Gwynedd Education Authority
• 1993-2006: Lecturer in Welsh Education, Y Coleg Normal/College of Education and Lifelong Learning, Bangor University
Click here for additional personal page.